Contact a Humanities Office or Academic unit.
Find your course outlines.

Relief for Missed Academic Work

McMaster recognizes that students periodically require relief from academic work for medical and other personal situations. The academic regulations surrounding this aim to manage these requests by taking into account the needs and obligations of students, instructors and administrators.

Academic Regulations re: Missed Academic Work

McMaster Student Absence Form (M.S.A.F.)

M.S.A.F. is a self-reporting tool for undergraduate students to report absences due to minor medical or personal concerns that last up to 3 days. It provides the ability to request accommodations for any missed academic work worth equal to or less than 24%. This form should be filled out immediately when you are about to return to class after your absence. You may submit a maximum of one MSAF for missed academic work per term. It is the student’s responsibility to follow up with their instructor immediately regarding the nature of the accommodation.

This tool cannot be used during any final examination period.

MSAF is located in your Mosaic Student Centre in the drop-down menu, ‘other academic…’.

Notification of Absence

There are cases where the McMaster Student Absence Form is not the appropriate tool to report an absence.

If you:

  • need to report a subsequent absence within the same term
  • are absent for more than 3 days
  • miss a piece of work worth at least 25%

you must visit your faculty office to discuss the absence and missed work. Students in Humanities must complete a Notification of Absence form and supply supporting documentation (e.g. McMaster Student Health Certificate).

Notification of Absence (PDF)

The Notification of Absence is appropriate for coursework that will be submitted prior to the last day of classes. If students believe they will not be able to submit work until after classes have ended, they should meet with an advisor to discuss the option of incomplete term work. For final examinations, students should refer to information deferred examinations.

Request for Incomplete Term Work

Students with exceptional cases who wish to request an extension beyond the last day of classes must meet with an Academic Advisor. A request for incomplete term work form must be completed and submitted with supporting documentation (e.g. McMaster Student Health Certificate).

If approved, the advisor will email you and the instructor(s) confirming the approval. The nature of the accommodations for missed work is at the discretion of the instructor. It is the student’s responsibility to follow up with each instructor to discuss how, when, and where the work will be submitted.

Request for Deferred Examination

Click here.

Ongoing Accommodations (Student Accessibility Services)

Click here.

Religious, Indigenous, and Spiritual Observances

Click here.