Contact a Humanities Office or Academic unit.
Find your course outlines.

Letter of Permission

If you are in good academic standing and wish to take courses at another university for credit towards your McMaster degree, you must obtain a Letter of Permission from your faculty prior to enrolling at the other institution.

A Letter of Permission request can be initiated in your Mosaic Student Centre under ‘My Academics’. Once your request is submitted, it takes our advisors approximately 3 weeks to review and respond to it. Applications may take longer to review during peak times, so please ensure you are applying early. Students are responsible for applying to and following the regulations and processes of the host institution. Please ensure a request is submitted in plenty of time to register with the host institution.

Before You Apply

Take note of the regulations and conditions surrounding courses taken through a Letter of Permission for transfer credit. Regulations include but are not limited to the following:

  • Students are normally permitted to take only elective credit on a Letter of Permission.
  • A minimum grade of C- must be achieved in order for transfer credit to be received
  • Grades from courses taken at another university are not factored into any averages (e.g. cumulative, honours) at McMaster. Courses will appear on your McMaster transcript as either ‘T’ to indicate transfer credit was given, or ‘N.C.’ if no credit was given.
  • Transfer credit cannot be given until an official transcript has been received by our office directly from the host institution. Students are responsible for ensuring this is sent in a timely manner.
  • Students are responsible for being mindful of their intended date of graduation from their undergraduate degree, and ensuring that the official transcript is sent in time for the faculty to review you for graduation. If you are unsure about your timing for graduation, please contact the Academic Advising Office.
  • If you later decide not to pursue your approved LOP course(s), proof of non-enrolment from the institution will be required to remove the course(s) from your record.

Click here for instructions on how to apply for a Letter of Permission on Mosaic

FOR INTERNATIONAL LOPs, PLEASE NOTE: If you are applying to take courses on an LOP at a school outside of Canada, please do not apply on Mosaic, and instead email Jenna Gloazzo directly with the information. Applications must be submitted in accordance with the timelines above.