Have a Question? Contact the Humanities Office or an Academic Unit

Relief for Missed Academic Work

McMaster recognizes that students periodically require relief from academic work for medical and other personal situations. The academic regulations surrounding this aim to manage these requests by taking into account the needs and obligations of students, instructors and administrators.

Academic Regulations re: Missed Academic Work

McMaster Student Absence Form (MSAF)

MSAF is a self-reporting tool for undergraduate students to report absences due to minor medical or personal concerns that last up to 3 days. It provides the ability to request accommodations for any missed academic work worth equal to or less than 24%. This form should be filled out immediately when you are about to return to class after your absence.

This tool cannot be used during any final examination period.

You may submit a maximum of one MSAF for missed academic work per term. It is the student’s responsibility to follow up with their instructor immediately regarding the nature of the accommodation.

MSAF is located in your Mosaic Student Centre in the drop-down menu, ‘other academic…’.

Notification of Absence

If you:

  • need to report another absence within the same term
  • are absent for more than 3 days
  • miss a piece of work worth at least 25%

you must visit your faculty office to discuss your options. Students in Humanities must complete a Notification of Absence form and supply supporting documentation (e.g. medical note).

Notification of Absence Form (PDF)

Request for Incomplete Term Work

Students with exceptional cases who wish to request an extension beyond the last day of classes must meet with an Academic Advisor. A request for incomplete term work form must be completed and submitted with supporting documentation (e.g. doctor’s note).

If approved, the advisor will email you and the instructor(s) confirming the approval. The nature of the accommodations for missed work is at the discretion of the instructor. It is the student’s responsibility to follow up with each instructor to discuss how, when, and where the work will be submitted.

Request for Incomplete Term Work (PDF)

Ongoing Accommodations

Accommodations through the faculty are intended for temporary situations. If you believe you are in need of ongoing academic accommodations during your time at McMaster, please contact Student Accessibility Services.